As we are experiencing a very challenging time under the threat of Corona Virus (Covid 19) and uncertainty of coming weeks and months, I am sure you all worried about your holidays. Our priority is your health and safety before we will talk about the money issue. We can reassure you, we are here to do everything we can to look after your safe holidaying wherever we can and protect you financially within our capabilities and abilities. we will do our very best to consult all our suppliers including airlines to delay your holidays either later date of this year or next year and protected your deposit to move to next holiday date. If you choose to cancel we will get Government advice and guidelines and we will act accordingly.
We are monitoring the situation on daily basis in UK and in abroad where we are operating to. It is very difficult at this moment to see any clarity with the Government’s policy ahead as well as overseas governments policy ahead, including airlines policy. I suggest we will wait until mid-April to see more clarity and what to do next your coming holidays. Please be aware, we have to deal in departures date order, first priority will be early May, late May and early June.
I am happy to answer any of your questions or concerns please write to : firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
Or you may call on 0330 390 0999 , We will deal your enquires asap.
I wish you all the best and safe days and weeks ahead, and please be sure we will do our best to help you to deliver your safe and relaxed holidays when it is possible. If this is not possible, we will do our best to protect your paid deposits or full balance. However, I advise to consult your Insurance company asap.
With best regards
Diamond Sky Holidays